news

FIVE QUESTIONS WITH... DAN CARDWELL

This year's Manchester Comedy Festival saw the debut of Dan Cardwell's first full-length show. We asked him FIVE BIG QUESTIONS to find out a little more about The Man Who Was Nearly There...

1) What is your show about?

The show is about my terrible year. I've had a list of things I wanted by 30 and it looked like I was going to get them. Until a week before my big 3 0. My girlfriend left me, I lost my house and my dream career came crashing down. I was a little down and heartbroken. Then my friends kept telling me I should be grateful, as I had my health and sanity. “Nothing matters if you've got your health and your sanity”, they'd say. Which is the point when an old tramp man showed up proclaiming to be me from the future. Obviously.


2) What has been the highlight of your comedy career thus far?

I entered a competition a few years ago and died terribly. I was placed 16th. Out of 14. I think they were mocking me when they asked me back, but I thought, well, Jesus died and when he came back everyone started to worship him. So I went back. And I won! Proving not only was I the second coming of the Messiah, but also the best new act in the whole of Dorset. Good times.

3) Finish this sentence: "If you like over elaborate high-concept storytelling with melancholy, heartbreak and jokes; alongside true stories of headbutting Oscar Winning actresses and being terrifyingly exposed to Keith Chegwin's man-parts then you'll like my show"

4) What will you do in the hour before your show?

First 40 mins: Chat to friends, have a glass of wine.
Remaining 20 mins: Casually tell my friends ‘I best go and run over the show’ as if it doesn’t matter, then spend 19 mins behind close doors nervously pacing and uttering random lines from the show. To myself. Like a madman. Wondering why I spent the last 40 minutes chatting to friends and drinking vino.

5) Name 3 other comics you would recommend seeing.

WIL HODGSON: PUNKANORY
A great story-teller stand-up, his shows are unique. Although, what do you expect from a pink-haired, ex-wrestler, ex-skinhead who collects My Little Ponies and Care Bears?

BRIAN DAMAGE AND KRYSTAAL : PEARSHAPED
Somehow mixing sheer misery and sheer daftness, I have seen them hundreds of times, but always cry with laughter.

RICHARD RYCROFT: THE SONGS I'LL NEVER SING
OK, so, nepotism alert, he is my friend. But his show is genuinely warm and witty and it has the greatest middle-aged white man rap you will ever see.

Click here to find out a little bit more about the hilarious Dan Cardwell.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home